Today is the day for a pure heart
by Pastor Abraham Bosch
Today is the Day
Psalm 118:24 This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it.
- Why do we wait until later to spend time with God, to pray to him, to read his word?
- We assume there will be a later. We are not promised tomorrow.
Heb 3:15 Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts!
- Why can’t today be the day God touches your heart like no other day?
- Why can’t today be the day you surrender all to Jesus and finally make peace with God?
- Why can’t today be the day where you give all your problems, fears, wants, desires to Jesus and just trust him to take care of it all?
Now is the Time
2 Cor 6:2 … Now is the time of God’s favor, now is the day of salvation!
- Right now God’s favor is with man. (Luke 2:14)
- Right now grace is available to you.
- Today can be the day you receive favor from the Lord.
Dr. Jesus is here with us right now
Matt 18:20 for where there are two or three come in my name, there I am with them.
- Jesus is here right now, and he can heal you.
- Jesus can change your heart.
- Jesus can help you surrender all to him.
- Jesus can worry about your problems for you.
- Jesus can perform spiritual heart surgery on you right now.
Let Dr. Jesus cut the evil desires from your Heart (Circumcision)
Romans 2:28-29 A man is not a Jew if he is only one outwardly, nor is circumcision merely outward and physical. No, a man is a Jew if he is one inwardly; and circumcision is circumcision of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the written code. Such a man’s praise is not from men, but from God.
- The Spirit of Christ can circumcise your heart.
- He can cut all the evil desires away.
- He can make your heart clean and pure.
What is in our heart directs our words and our actions
Luke 6:45 The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks.
- Out of the abundance or overflow of the heart our mouth speaks.
- How can we control our mouth if our heart is full of filth?
- How can we stop our selves from doing sin if our hearts are full of sin?
When we are Spiritually Circumcised, the sinful nature is removed from our heart
Col 2:11-12 In him you were also circumcised, in the putting off of the sinful nature, not with a circumcision done by the hands of men but with the circumcision done by Christ, having been buried with him in baptism and raised with him through your faith in the power of God, who raised him from the dead.
- The sinful nature is put off … or cut away from the heart.
Purify your hearts
James 4:8-10 Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts. Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.
Draw near to God in your heart and in your spirit … your inner most part of you.
Change your attitude about sin from laughter to morning.
- Ask God to take the desire and excitement of sin out of your heart.
- Ask God to give you a clean and pure heart.
broken can contrite heart
Psalm 51:17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.
- Get broken before God right now.
- contrite – feeling or showing sorrow and remorse for a sin or shortcoming
- broken – break (down, off, in pieces, up), crush, destroy, hurt, quench, tear
Maybe your heart is divided – ask for an undivided heart
Psalm 86:11 Teach me your way, O LORD, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may fear your name.
Luke 4:18 Still others, like seed sown among thorns, hear the word; 19but the worries of this life, the deceitfulness of wealth and the desires for other things come in and choke the word, making it unfruitful.
- What is dividing your time, affection, money, attention?
- Worries, deceit of wealth, and desires for other things divide the heart.
Break up the hardness of your heart
Jeremiah 4:3 For thus says the LORD to the men of Judah and Jerusalem: “ Break up your fallow ground, And do not sow among thorns.
- Where are you sewing your effort, time, affections, attention? Is it among the thorns?
- Thorns represent – Worries, deceit of wealth, and desires for other things.
- Are you sewing worry?
- Are you sewing time/effort/money into things other than the Lord?
Sew righteousness. Seek the Lord until he reigns righteousness on you
Hosea 10:12 Sow for yourselves righteousness; Reap in mercy; Break up your fallow ground, For it is time to seek the LORD, Till He comes and rains righteousness on you.
- Don’t sow “thorns”!! Sow faith. sow hope. sow trust. sow righteous deeds. sow love.
- Seek the Lord. Don’t seek these other things! Seek him until he rains righteousness on you.
Ask God to remove the heart of stone and put a heart of flesh
Ezekiel 11:19 I will give them an undivided heart and put a new spirit in them; I will remove from them their heart of stone and give them a heart of flesh.
- A hard heart is a heart that doesn’t submit to God’s will.
- Ask Dr. Jesus to remove rebellion and selfish desires from your heart.
Ask God to create a pure heart in you again
Psalm 51:10 Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Tonight, even right now, Ask Dr. Jesus to cut the sinful desires from your heart.